Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Slop Fest

Long story short, we lost 27-0. Long story long, it was the worst field conditions that I have ever seen or been associated. There was a cold rain that started when we arrived at the stadium and never quit. It wasn't a hard driving rain, but just a constant steady drizzle. Quite frankly, it was miserable. By the end, there was not a single blade of green grass between the hashes from 25 to the 25. Just a mud bowl. Go here http://foto-bluedevils.npage.de/blue_devils_2_19759742.html and that will tell much of the story.

Consequently, our vaunted passing game became pretty much worthless. Not so much because of the field conditions and the rain, but more because of the mud and a constantly wet ball. We struggled to run the ball consistently as well. They were blitzing us and daring us to try and throw the ball. We tried, but it just wasn't happening because we were unable to throw the ball down the field and make them pay for their blitzing.

Conversely, the weather played right into the Vikings hands. They were bigger and more physcial, but not as fast or athletic. It was one of those days where everything went right for them and we could not get anything going. Even with all of that, I was really proud of the way our guys continued to fight and to battle. They never gave up and never threw in the towel. I truly believe that if we play them again on a beautiful July day we will give them all they can handle and then some.

Everything else besides the game was splendid. Travel went off without a hitch and our accomodations were very nice. I give the Vikings and their whole organization a lot of credit. They are first class and do everything the right way. I can tell why they are one of the premier football clubs in Europe. They put on a good show and make everything an event. Pregame introductions were like an NFL or Division 1 college game; Running out from under the stadium, fireworks for introductions, and even flameshooters for Vikings individual introductions. Go to youtube and search for Vienna Vikings introductions and that is exactly what it was like. A fun atmosphere and pretty cool if you ask me.

Things outside of football are going fine, although I am not really sure what those things are. Pretty much all of my time and energy is devoted to football. This is good and this is bad. When things are going well and falling into place it is great. When we are struggling and trying to figure things out it sucks. The saving grace is that the 4 of us coaches get along well and no one has tried to kill another person yet. We spend virtually all of our time together and the biggest accomplishment of the season will be us not killing each other.

There is a lot of frusration around here at the moment. Not so much because of the game, but due to a number of different things. Primarily being our lack of players and depth. The rules over here reagarding player eligibility are making it even harder as well. It is like the cards are stacked against us. At times it feels as though we are banging our heads against the wall.

It is hard trying to figure out how to maximize as much as possible out of the players and team when there are 5-6 guys going both ways and we only practice 2-3 times a week. I must detach myself sometimes just to keep from going crazy. If I get too worked up or worry too much about things I know I won't make it. Things are just so much different. Jim and I were talking and we would compare the program and organization as a whole to a low level Minnesota high school football program. It is a struggle and a grind to keep our heads above water.

I think it would be fair to say that we are all waiting for the weather to break. There was a glimmer of hope last week when it was beautiful for 2 days straight last week. It quickly faded though and it has been dreary and overcast since. I would say that since I have been here there has been maybe 4 or 5 really nice sunny days. All I can say is there better be some beautiful, sunny days come June and July to make up for this crappy weather.

That is all I have for today. I will post some non football related items later in the week. I have been doing quite a bit of reading and have had a lot of time to think so I will share my brilliant or not so brilliant thoughts at that time. Lastly, I want to send out a belated big congrats to Brandon Mensink and Ali Hempel on the birth of their son Jack Henry. I can't wait to get back to the states to see the little bugger.

Hope all is well back home. Take care

--Josh

1 comment:

  1. I just looked at those pictures from the game, great photography, craptacular playing conditions.

    ReplyDelete